This is the website for Houston, We Have A Promenade, the 38th Annual Convention of the International Association of Gay Square Dance Clubs ( IGASDC), an LGBTQ* organization, being held July 2-4, 2021 in Houston, Texas.
We look forward to welcoming hundreds of LGBTQ* Square Dancers to the Hyatt Regency in Houston, TX over the July 4th weekend of 2021!
- 3/31/2021: Houston 2021 Mission Status: PENDING
Dear Would-Be Astronauts, Astronuts, Astronots, and Astronaughties (you know who you are!),
We had originally committed to announcing the Mission Status of “Houston, We Have A Promenade” on 3/31/21.
However, at this time, due to ongoing negotiations with NASA, Roscosmos, the CSA, JAXA and ESA (among other space and ground agencies), our host hotel, and the explosion of our travel coordinator’s brain, we are not yet able to confirm the status of the 2021 IAGSDC Convention.
We anticipated completing our discussions with the hotel by the end of March.
Unfortunately, due to the state of The World, the closure of Broadway, supply chain complications, the ship that was stuck in the Suez Canal (and has now been freed), pandemic conditions in some jurisdictions, unpredictable weather in portions of North America, and the delay of the swallows’ return to Capistrano, discussions are continuing at a far slower pace than we want.
We just don’t have a clear date for our go/no-go launch/scrap announcement at this time.
After the last two surveys, we understand that a majority of registrants and potential attendees are still uncomfortable about attending an in-person convention. We hear you. And we get it. Honest.
We just can’t make an announcement either way until discussions with the hotel are complete.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to earnestly pursue this important decision!
- 2/20/2021: Survey Results.
We are pleased to present a summary of the survey results, which can be downloaded by clicking here.
- 1/31/2021: Go/No-Go Date Announced.
The committee staging “Houston, We Have A Promenade” is well aware of the severe nature of the public health crisis our community is undergoing due to COVID-19.
Keeping our dancers and staff safe is our #1 priority. We very much appreciate all of the comments provided in the recent survey. Given the majority of the feedback, we have decided that we will cancel the Fun Badge Tour scheduled for Houston because social distancing on the FBT buses will be difficult. We will begin processing FBT refunds soon.
Regarding the main event: we are in the process of negotiating with our venue, Hyatt Regency Downtown Houston, and are unable to make further public comment at this time. The hotel itself has been shut down for some time due to the pandemic, and this has complicated our negotiations.
We anticipate being able to announce the results of our negotiations by March 31, 2021.
- 12/13/2020: Registration rates have been extended!
Current rate of $200 is now good through April 30, 2021! (Fun Badge Tour is $50, Non-Dancer rate is $100.)
We will guarantee you a full refund if we cancel due to COVID-19.
- 11/14/2020: We’ve received a number of questions asking when we’ll know a “go/no-go” date for Houston, We Have A Promenade.
Please be assured that we are as anxious about COVID-19 safety as you, but we just don’t have sufficient information to make an informed decision…yet.
Truthfully, with so many variables in play, we don’t have a specific date in mind right this minute.
However, we DO intend to set that date by the end of January 2021, when we will have a new Federal administration in place, and a more reliable set of data points.
- 11/9/2020: Registration note: a full refund of all registration fees will be made if the convention is cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns.
- 9/7/2020: Our list of Attractions has been posted, covering everything from meditative spaces to skateboarding parks!
- 9/6/2020: More updates!
- 9/5/2020: We’ve been busy updating the website, including:
- Adding a COVID-19 page, which we’ll update as things develop (including bulletins here on the main page).
- A much-requested Dining Near Hotel guide, showing walking distance from the hotel. (It’s under “Houston!”)
- Updating the Hotel page with a link to the Hyatt Regency’s main website.
- Creating separate pages under News for the newsletter, convention videos, and flyer.
- Splitting up the About/Info page a bit, to make things easier to find, including information about Our Committee, our convention logo, and a new Contact Us form.
- Making the names on the Callers page easier to read.
Countdown to Day 1 of Convention (7/1/2021)…